Beta Magazine is an online climbing and outdoors magazine aimed at women but inclusive of all. Our vision is to encourage conversation and thinking around themes in climbing and the outdoors. We want to learn from what our contributors have to say, the stories and experiences they have to share. We aim to do this through diverse, colourful and engaging content; whether that be through articles, stories, poetry, photography, illustration, digital and graphic design.
Who are we?
Co-Founders and Co-Editors Annie Martin and Emily Ankers are both rock climbers, one from the South of England, one from the North.
Annie is a film maker and co-founder of the Bouldering DabRats platform. Her work aims to normalise the presence of women and under-represented groups in the media by being seen and heard, whether laughing, crying or power screaming!
Emily is a researcher specialising in ‘everyday’ women’s experiences of rock climbing. This research has informed the need for greater visibility, more diverse and accurate representations of women in the climbing and outdoor world.
Our design is led by Catherine Evans. Catherine is the founder of Lacuna Creative Design and the designer of Beta. Catherine has been designing professionally for 5 years, working for various companies before starting up her own design agency.
To keep up to date with upcoming issues and articles, follow us on Instagram @betamagazineclub and Twitter @betamagclub
- Beta is a digital magazine and orders are fulfilled online, your chosen Issue/s will be delivered as an online pdf, sent to the email address that you used when purchasing.
- We cannot offer refunds.
- Please ensure that you have sufficient space/data allowance to download Beta.
- There is a limit on the amount of times you can use the download link. We would suggest that it is easiest to download Beta on a computer as it is easiest to access your download files to re-open Beta from your own device, should you need to. We would recommend not re-opening Beta via the download link multiple times if possible as it easy to accidentally reach the download limit.
- All views expressed by Contributors are their own.
What type of information does Beta Magazine keep?
Beta Magazine receives, collects and stores any information that you input when purchasing anything on the Beta Magazine website. This includes your full name, email address and phone number (optional). We host our shop on BigCartel.com and Big Cartel requires you to input a shipping address when you place an order, regardless of whether you are purchasing a digital or material product. This information is securely stored within BigCartel.com. All payment information including any information relating to your full name, email address, billing address and card details are stored on the platform via which you choose to make your payment; either Stripe and or PayPal. This data is used to ensure that your purchase successfully reaches you and for postage when relevant.
Beta Magazine may also collect demographics information from Instagram Insights for gender, age, location, interaction rates and patterns. All of this information is anonymised/Non-personal by Instagram. This information will be used to help us to promote our advertising space within Beta Magazine to any relevant brands.
Those who subscribe to our Patreon page will provide their full name, email address, and payment details. All of this data is stored securely within Patreon. In the event of material goods being sent as a Patreon bonus/perk, your shipping address will be accessed by Beta Magazine staff or contracted staff who will have signed a privacy compliance understanding.
How do you collect information?
When you conduct a transaction on the website, as part of the process, Beta Magazine collects personal information you give such as your name, address and email address. Your personal information will be used for the specific reasons stated above only.
Why do you collect this information?
Beta Magazine collects such Non-personal and Personal Information for the following purposes:
• To provide and operate the Services
• To provide Users with ongoing customer assistance and technical support
• To create and gather statistical data and other and/or inferred Non-personal Information, which Beta Magazine or our business partners may use to provide and improve our respective services.
• To comply with any applicable laws and regulations.